In the 2016-2017 school year, Sequoia Choice – Arizona Distance Learning formed our National Honor Society chapter, Optimi, which is a Latin noun for “the best.”
Keep an eye here for updates on our NHS chapter and its doings!
2017-2018 School Year Updates
Nomination requests will be going out by February 26, 2018 to all teachers and academic advisors/coaches. Please see the section below for an outline of events to follow. Check back for updates on deadlines and the induction ceremony.
Nomination and Selection of Members
The process for nomination and selection of members of the chapter is as follows:
1. The chapter advisor, Mr. Tim Jackson, requests student nominations from our teachers and advisors. He checks to make sure the nominated students meet the academic eligibility requirements (i.e. students must be on track for graduation and have a minimum 3.5 unweighted GPA).
2. He sends out the information packet to the nominated students. Nominees have about two weeks to complete and return all parts of the information packet. (See forms at the bottom of this page.)
3. Once the information packets are returned, the Sequoia Choice NHS faculty council meets to evaluate nominees and select new members of the chapter.
4. New members are notified of their selection by the chapter advisor.
5. The induction ceremony is held. Students who are unable to attend the induction ceremony may participate virtually or view a video of the event after the fact. Additionally, said students are mailed their membership tokens (pins, cards, and certificates). Students who attend the induction ceremony will receive their tokens of membership at the event.